Wednesday, July 13, 2011

More stuff

I bought a cheapo mirror with frame from Ikea at the weekend for my little sis's birthday.  They're just soooo cheap, but excellent to alter/adorn/embellish.  I took this picture in the early hours of the morning when I couldn't sleep - as you can see, no flash used; best to turn of the flash when photographing indoors.  And no pic of my mug (face) in the mirror hehe.  I made the butterflies from a lemonade bottle (with paper butterfly underneath), stamped and slightly coloured with alcohol ink and edged with silverleaf pen.  The flower is made from organza, the shape created by melting over a low flame - you can use a tealight for this.  I got the technique from YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U918ZjtBNr4&feature=related This is going to be my entry into Hels' Sunday Stampers challenge, which I haven't taken part in for many weeks.


Had a great day yesterday at Pat's, along with another friend, Margaret.  We made storage boxes, with concertina sides.  Mine and Pat's weren't complete, but I finished mine this morning.  The top part of the box was too plain so I added a bit of stamping, added the ribbon with some beads and a leaf and made the flower (without the aid of a die) by folding strips of paper back and forth.  The ribbon should've been addedbefore putting the covering paper/card over the bookboard/mountboard/thick card, but due to my jst looking at the picture and not reading the instructions properly at that stage, we put the ribbon in the wrong place, so had to cut it off.  Bt it's fine attached to the back of the box once complete.

15 comments:

kayc said...

I just love that mirror. Beautiful. Those concertina boxes are fantastic. Could you send me the instructions for them please? I would love to have a go.Hope you are well. Kathleen x

Sheilagh said...

I love the mirror, I have bought four of them to do for my four granddaughters. I am now inspired thank you. Your boxes are fabulous, I need to learn how to do them:)

Thanks again

Sheilagh

flutterbycrafter said...

Your mirror is beautiful and the boxes gorgeous, my favourite colours too xx

Kathleen said...

Some lovely and very interesting project here Anne, you are so versatile, makes me feel quite boring just making cards.

Kath x

patcrafts said...

Your mirror is fantastic and even better in real life, flower and butterflies are stunning. Love your completed box.xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful mirror, your flower is fabulous and I love your little box. Hope your thumb is fully healed now. Love, Chrisx

cheryl said...

oh hun just love that mirror its gorgeous and love that concertina,box,that is stunning hun,just love the detail,love hugs cheryl xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is an impressive mirror now that it's been altered and beautified. I am curious about the butterflies. Are these die cut or did you freehand cut them? Regardless, they are stunning and really make the mirror.

Your storage box is beautiful, even if you did originally put the ribbon in the wrong place. It all worked out fine in the end, which is the important thing. Glad to see you made a few things and are taking an interest in blogging again. I've missed you.

Tracey said...

Gorgeous mirror Anne, love the flutterbyes, and fab box too, yes love the jazzed up version better, say hello to Pat for me, hope all is well.
xx

Gez Butterworth said...

Wow! Great mirror and box. Wish I lived near an Ikea store!!
Love your butterflies ♥
Enjoy your box...xx

Have a great weekend. Gez.

Hels Sheridan said...

The mirror is GORGEOUS ANne... and am loving those concertina folders... very clever!! Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper.. apologies for my late visit.. been on my holidays :O)) xx

Linby said...

Just love the mirror, she will be thrilled, nice girly colour too.
Those concertina boxes look lovely, I just love boxes.
Linbyx

McMGrad89 said...

Great way to make butterflies. Love the mirror. She will love it.

NEEDLEWINGS said...

Lovely! Also didn't know that you had an IKEA! I have yet to go to one. Our closest one is 3 1/2 hours away.
Also had to catch up on your blog. You have such lovely new works to lick!

thekathrynwheel said...

Hey, can't wait to meet you at the weekend :-)) Really looking forward to it!
I was in IKEA today with my mum - ALL DAY!! I should have looked at your blog first - I could have got a mirror like this and then done something imaginative and creative like you did! See you soon, kate x